- Public Notices
- Submit News
Police don't believe emailed threats are from student
New Prague Police and the US Marshals Service don't believe the emailed bomb threats received at New Prague Middle School on Thursday, March 21, came from a student.
At approximately 8:35 a.m. the police department was notified by New Prague Middle School administration of several bomb threats being received by email at the school. Officers responded to the school and met with administrative staff. During that time more emails were being received by staff.
Police Chief Mark Vosejpka said the emails were all the same and in part stated that bombs have been placed around the building and they would detonate within 30 minutes. Administration made the decision to evacuate the students and staff from both the Middle School and the adjacent Central Education Campus to the New Prague Community Center.
Officers and some school staff conducted a search of the building and exterior and no suspicious items were located. After approximately an hour the students and staff returned to the School.
District IT staff worked with the U.S. Marshals Service to determine the origin of the emails. Vosejpka said the emails came from an automated email program, most likely located overseas. The incident has been determined to be a hoax and the U.S. Marshals Service is continuing to follow up on the origin of the emails. He added the district continues to receive the emails.
This was the second straight day classes were disrupted at the school. On Wednesday a 12-year-old student used a cell phone to report that there had been a shooting at the school. That led to a lockdown at all six schools in the district and eventually, cancellation of classes for the remainder of the day.
The 12-year-old was arrested and is being held in custody until a juvenile detention hearing either today or tomorrow.